Avient Corporation will highlight its breadth of composite solutions, including two new materials formulated with recycled content at JEC World 2022.
New Formulation to Debut
Debuting at JEC World is a new formulation of Polystrand™ continuous-fiber-reinforced thermoplastic composites made from greater than 95% post-consumer recycled PET (rPET) resin. Available in unidirectional tapes and multi-axial laminates, this extends the Polystrand portfolio into recycled content solutions. Applications ranging from trucking and trailers to pipeline reinforcement benefit from the light weight, high strength and impact resistance of continuous glass fiber reinforced rPET. Performance is on par with standard PET formulations using virgin resin. Avient
will also feature Compl?t™ R long-fiber-reinforced composites for injection molding that incorporate from 50% to 100% post-consumer recycled nylon 6 reclaimed from end-of-life fishing nets. Levels of post-consumer resin content vary within the offerings, allowing end products to meet different performance and sustainability requirements. Potential markets include lighter-weight adventure gear for outdoor recreation, next-generation vehicles that go further using fewer energy resources, and recycled-content office furnishings that contribute to LEED certification for buildings. This is the first offering in a planned larger long-fiber composite portfolio based on recycled resin.
“We’re committed to helping our customers meet their sustainability goals in a variety of ways with our composites portfolio
,” said Chris Pederson, president, specialty engineered materials at Avient. “Composites are inherently lightweight alternatives to metal and other materials, enabling sustainability initiatives such as material reduction and fuel economy improvements in many end products. Now, with our recycled-content offerings, we can further support a circular economy and help our customers lessen their environmental footprint.
Other Engineering Material at Display
In addition, Avient will also highlight composite materials and engineered-fiber solutions that offer high strength, weight reduction, and corrosion resistance for products across a broad range of industries and markets:Thermoplastic Composites:
- Polystrand™ continuous-fiber-reinforced unidirectional tapes and multi-axial laminates
- Hammerhead™ marine composite panels
- Polystrand™ structural sandwich panels
- Compl?t™ long-fiber-reinforced thermoplastic composite formulations
- Gordon Composites™ continuous-glass and carbon-fiber barstock, laminates and composite springs, including springs for high-temperature industrial applications
- Gordon Glass™ archery bow limbs
- Glasforms™ pultruded rods, tubes and custom profiles
- Engineered Fiber Solutions:
- Fiber-Line™ engineered high-performance fibers, including coated, twisted, and custom wound aramid, glass, carbon, HMPE, and LCP fibers
- Fiber-Line™ pultruded rods and custom extrusion-coated rods and fibers
Avient is exhibiting in Hall 6, Booth R32 at JEC World from May 3-5, 2022. Source: Avient Corporation